We asked Lynn Rossello, Senior IT Trainer from Excelsior College, a few questions to better understand how their campus is handling faculty and staff training when faced with staff changes.
Q: What are some of the recent challenges your department has faced when it comes to staff training?
A: Well about 7 months ago our IT Trainers position was moved to another part of the office. Which left me the Senior IT Trainer to do all the face to face, IT Requests and New Employee training. With at least two Trainers we were able to hold quite a lot of face to face training, but with one that was going to be too much to handle. So I was faced with having to find off the shelf training that could fit the college's need to train at least 500+ staff. Office 2013 training needed to be available and this included training staff that work at a distance as well as staff here at the college. Atomic Learning has been offered to our students to use for many years and as soon as I found out our staff could use Atomic Learning as well, I asked for Administrator rights.
Q: How are you currently using Atomic Learning resources to meet those challenges?
A: Atomic Learning is now being used to train our 500+ Excelsior College staff. We were changing from Office 2007 to Office 2013 and staff registered to come to our training room, I gave a small introduction of the training and then they put headsets on and took the Office 2013 - What's New training that I put together using the Atomic Learning tutorials and I added this training to the My Campus Training Tab. We were not using One Drive at this time, so I did not include these tutorials in my training. It was very easy to only choose the specific tutorials we needed to create our own course. Everyone seemed to receive this new form of training. They liked the idea of being able to return to these tutorials when they needed to and that they could log in at their desk and at home. I have since taken some courses from our Learning Management System (LMS) and built them in Atomic Learning under the My Campus Training tab and we hope to add more and more college specific training to this tab as time goes on.
Q: How has this resource saved you time?
A: In March I had a big campaign on Atomic Learning for Excelsior College staff, where I walked around the office (5 bldgs.) and showed staff with an iPad how to log onto Atomic Learning, how to search and how to go to the My Campus Training tab for their application/career needs. If they listen to my training, they received a magnet with the Atomic Learning website that staff could place on their cubicles for easy access to the Atomic Learning site. Since that campaign week and since I introduced Atomic Learning during the Office 2013 - What's New training, many staff have logged on and taken a variety of training. I did mention to staff as I walked around and during the training that they should always visit Atomic Learning first for their application needs. One of the things I like most about Atomic Learning is as an Administrator I can run reports and let my supervisors know how many staff have taken the training sessions. Atomic Learning has saved me time as far as not holding as many face to face training session because I now have to do the job of two Trainers.
Q: Have you gotten any feedback from staff members?
A: I would say about 97 % of the staff really like the idea of being able to have Atomic Learning available to them 24 hours a day. As I showed them that they can log in to Atomic Learning from any browser anywhere. The other 3% feel they would rather have face to face and hands on training, which again is their learning style. What I did explain is that in the world now most people go to the internet to research topics of interest and learn from this information and that Atomic Learning is a great resource for their training needs.
For more information on the how your campus can tackle some of your training challenges, request more information.